These words can be used to describe different types of groups depending on the context. For example:
- “team” refers to a group of individuals working together toward a common goal,
- “crowd” describes a large gathering of people in one place.
The specific word you choose will depend on the nature and purpose of the group you are referring to.
ये सभी शब्द Collective Noun के अंतर्गत आते हैं। जिस Noun (संज्ञा) से समूह का बोध हो, उसे Collective Noun (समूहवाचक संज्ञा) कहते हैं। जैसे- Crowd, mob, team, flock, herd, army, fleet, family, nation, jury, committee, parliament, troop, navy, library, cattle, police, people etc.
Examples of Words Denoting Groups (Collective Noun):
- A band of musicians.
- A board of directors, etc.
- A bevy of girls, women, officers etc.
- A bunch of grapes, keys, etc.
- A bundle of sticks and hay.
- A caravan of Merchants, pilgrims, travellers.
- A chain/range of mountains or hills.
- A choir of singers.
- A class of students.
- A retinue of servants/ attendants.
- A clump/grove of trees.
- A code of laws.
- A cluster / constellation/ galaxy of stars.
- A company/regiment/army of soldiers.
- A convoy of ships, cars etc. (moving under an escort.)
- A course or series of lectures.
- A crew of sailors.
- A crowd/mob of people.
- A curriculum of studies.
- A flight of steps, stairs.
- A fleet of ships or motorcars.
- A flock of geese, sheep and birds.
- A gang of robbers, labourers.
- A garland/bunch/bouquet of flowers.
- A heap of ruins, sand, stones.
- A herd of cattle.
- A litter of puppies.
- A pack of hounds, cards.
- A pair of shoes, scissors, compasses, trousers.
- A series of events.
- A sheaf of corn, arrows.
- A swarm of ants, bees or flies.
- A train of carriages, followers etc.
- A troop of horses (cavalry) scouts; etc.
- A volley of shots, bullets
- A forum of people (discussing issues)
- A congregation of people (discussing religious issues)
- A shoal of fish
Must read other Topics of Noun:
FAQ on Words Denoting Groups
What is an orchestra?
An orchestra is a large group of musicians who play various instruments together, often under the guidance of a conductor. They perform orchestral compositions, such as symphonies, concertos, and overtures.
What is a consortium?
A consortium is a group or alliance of organizations or individuals who come together to collaborate on a specific project or to pursue common interests. Consortiums pool resources, expertise, and efforts to achieve shared objectives.
What is a committee?
A committee is a group of people appointed or elected to perform a specific task, make decisions, or oversee a particular area of interest. Committees are often formed within organizations or associations to address specific issues or projects.
What is an assembly?
An assembly refers to a gathering of people who come together for a specific purpose. It can be a formal or informal gathering, such as a legislative assembly, a town hall meeting, or a public gathering. Assemblies involve group discussions, decision-making, or sharing information.